Bromley House Library 1816 to 1916
M


Return to Main Index Page


Some major entries on this page:






Rev S. McAll
Subscriber: 4/9/1848 to 6/8/1860.

In 1851 he signed a requisition to the Committee to reduce the annual subscription from 42s 0d to 30s 0d (17/3/1851).
The Standfast Ledger records two borrowings on 26/5/1856
Deceased.

Names beginning with Mc are treated as beginning with Mac.


C. McArthur
Artist.
His Old Trent Bridge Nottingham is in the Front Reading Room, Neville Hoskins Room (2007).


McCallan
The name also appears as Macallum, McCallam and Macallan.
It is assumed that these were all referring to the one McCallan, i.e. Rev J.F. McCallan (see below).


Mrs McCallan
Subscriber: 3/11/1884 to 4/9/1894.
She was the daughter of Thomas Danks and brother of Rev William Danks.
The share was transferred from Rev J.F. McCallan.


Rev J.F. McCallan, MA (c.1833-1883)
Vicar of New Basford.
Subscriber: 3/10/1864 to 3/11/1884.
Committee: 1876, 1877, 1879, 1880, 1882, 1883.
Book Committee: 1876, 1877, 1879, 1880, 1882, 1883 (replaced by R.A. Armstrong on 4/6/1883).
Catalogue Committee: 1880.

The Standfast Ledger records ten borrowings between 15/10/1861 and 31/10/1863 while he was at St Matthew's.

He was vicar of New Basford from 1868 to 1883 and was described as a man of great spiritual and mental gifts, active, cheerful, sympathetic, large hearted and broad minded.

He had the nave added to the church and a school built.

In the summer of 1865 the Rev. Dundas was written to by the Committee and asked to prevent his sons coming to the Library in the name of Mr Macallum (7/8/1865).

On 2/7/1866 he applied for leave for Charles Dundas to use the Library in the long vacation and on 3/12/1866 the Committee wrote to him to say that because of Dundas's:
... conduct in the Library on Monday evenings lately he will not be allowed to enter the Library for the future.

In 1867 he was one of the 23 subscribers asking on that salaries and wages at the Library be reduced (2/3/1867).
He moved two motions at the somewhat busy Annual Meeting of 1875.

There was income of £1 0s 0d on 25/7/1879 from sale of books to him.

He was a member of a sub-committee set up to consider the use of land to the rear of the Library and to consult with Robert Evans and to prepare plans at a cost of no more than £10.
This was proposed by Rev W.R. Stevenson and seconded by J.H. Brown (3/7/1882).

He died in 1883 and a long letter of sympathy signed by J.W. Leavers as president was sent from the meeting of 7/5/1883.
Madam
    The Committee of Bromley House Library having met this day, desire most respectfully to express to you their profound sense of loss in the death of your late husband the Rev. J.F. McCallan, and their deep grief at his sudden removal from the sphere of his varied and valuable activities. They vividly recall his long and unflagging interest in the Library the rich culture and thoughtful counsel which he placed at its service, and the bright urbanity which rendered him always so welcome a colleague to all whose privilege it was to work with him.
    Nor while painfully missing him from their own board, can the Committee forget how widely his pure and kindly influence extended. They gratefully remember the zealous support which he brought to every Institution in the Town of his adoption, which commended itself to his judgement, as conducive to the best welfare of the people;and they cherish above all the recollection of that true Christian liberality, which bound him in sympathy and friendship with many of his fellow townsmen widely separated from him in opinion, and did so much to mitigate the bitterness of parly and to diffuse around him the spirit of the Master whom he served.
    The Committee beg to be allowed to offer to you and to your children their deep and respectful sympathy in your sorrow.
    I am, Madam,
    On behalf of the Committee
    Very faithfully yours,

His widow replied to the meeting of 7/8/1883.

The share was transferred to Mrs McCallan.


Mrs Maria E. (or J.W.) McCraith
Address: The Park.
Subscriber: 1/3/1892 to 1916.
Share number: 143 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
She paid 4s 6d for a ‘replacement’ book on 21/5/1910.
See –– James William McCraith.


James William McCraith
Solicitor.
He was born on 19/3/1853 and educated at Grantham Grammar School.

McCraithJW-4042
James William McCraith
[4042]



John McIntrye
Scrap iron merchant
Address: 101 Castle Boulevard (Telephone number: 546) [Wright, 1915]
He paid 12s 3d for scrap iron on 16/6/1910.


Dr A. McLeod
Subscriber: 6/11/1865 to 2/9/1867.
The share was initially in the name of M. McLeod.
A. McLeod signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.


Rev Canon Nigel Madan (1840-1915)
Rector of St Mary's church, Plumtree.
Address: St Mary's Rectory, Plumtree.
Subscriber: 7/5/1907 to 1916.
Share number: 171 (counterfoil dated 7/4/1908).
A registration fee of 2s 6d was received from Berryman & Snook on 26/4/1907 in respect of a share transfer.

Having been vicar of Polesworth he became Rector at West Hallam, then at Doveridge and finally at Plumtree.
He and his wife were known for their cheerful activity, their sympathy, geniality and support and their affection and helpfulness.

At their retirement every householder in the parish signed an address that read:
You have by your sympathy, kindness, and unfailing courtesy, endeared yourselves to our hearts, and by your devotion to duty you have shown us an example to follow, which must always remain impressed on our memories.

Rev Canon Madan and his wife both died in 1915 at Bleasby. (Mellors, 1924) and his death was noted at the 1916 General Meeting.


George Henry Maddock
Painter and sign writer
Address: 78 Woodborough Road (Wright, 1894-95)
and/or
Joseph Maddock
Painter.
Address: 24 Gladstone Street (Kelly, 1891)

One of the Maddocks did work at the Library on four occasions between February 1892 and September 1893 charging between £2 3s 0d (1/10/1892) and £7 15s 0d (6/2/1892).


Mr Madey or possibly Massey
He paid 1s 0d for a key to the back door of Bromley House (2/3/1841)


F.J. Magden
See –– W. Lucy & Co. Ltd.


Rev Samuel Maddock
See –– Thomas Barber.


J.T. Mallett
Subscriber: 6/12/1875 to 5/5/1891.
Scrutator: 1881, 1884.


Mr Maltby
See –– Thackeray.


Rev Maltby
Address: Brough.
Subscriber: 22/3/1852 to 2/1/1854.
The Standfast Ledger records three borrowings between 24/3/1852 and 12/3/1856.


Rev H. Maltby
Subscriber: 7/3/1842 to April 1844.


John Maltby
Subscriber: 5/10/1829 to 2/11/1829.
The share was given by W.B. Maltby prior to his death.


Samuel Maltby
Newsroom subscriber: 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833.


Thomas Maltby
Subscriber: 4/3/1816 to 31/1/1817.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).


William Blewitt Maltby
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 5/10/1829.
Deceased.
His executor, Mr Dale, considered that his share had been given to John Maltby in his lifetime.


H.W. Manley
Subscriber: 4/9/1848 to 31/3/1851.


Manlove
The Library purchased a gas stove for £1 9s 0d on 19/10/1885.


Rev Alexander Mann
Dissenting minister.
Address: 24 Forest Road West.
Subscriber: 12/9/1910 to 1916.
Share number: 239 (counterfoil dated 28/4/1911).
Minuted book requests:
    He was a subscriber to Russell’s History (1916).


Edward Lawrence Manning
Solicitor.
Address: Pelham House, The Park.
Subscriber: 3/5/1910 to 1916.
Share number: 163 (counterfoil dated 28/4/1911).
A registration fee of 2s 6d for a share transfer was received on 30/4/1910.

Gift: (with S.F. Manning):


John Manning
Lord Mayor of Nottingham: 1870-71, 1875-76 and 1883-84.
Subscriber: 1/2/1869 to April 1902.
President: 1 April 1884 to 6 April 1886, and 3 April 1894 to 14 April 1896.
Elected President on 1/4/1884 and again on 3/4/1894.
Committee: 1871, 1872, 1874, 1875, 1877, 1878, 1881, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1886, 1887, 1889, 1893, 1894, 1895.
He was added to the Committee on 2/5/1881 as W.P. Phillimore had been elected as President.
Finance Committee: 1877, 1878, 1881, 1883, 1886.
Rental review sub-committee: 7/10/1872.
Auditor: 1873, 1894.
Scrutator: 1877.
He was present at the General Meeting of 1894.

In 1870 the Mayor of Nottingham gave photographs of the old town buildings (2/5/1870) and the Mayor moved the adoption of the report at the 1871 Annual Meeting.

He seconded a motion, proposed by Edmund Percy, that the vaults in the basement should no longer be used for retail or wholesale sale of spirits as soon as this could be arranged (2/5/1881).

He was a member of a sub-committee which on 1/5/1894 was appointed to discuss Library business and presumably the rule changes then under consideration with the Library’s solicitor, E.H. Fraser.

In 1896 he received a vote of thanks for his services to the Library (5/5/1896) proposed by J. M. Perry and seconded by J.H. Brown.

After his death his sons presented the Library with J. Drinkwater’s History of the Siege of Gibraltar in memory of their father.

See –– J. William Moore: Chronicles and Memorials.

The share was passed to Mrs S.F. Manning.

ManningJ-3953
ManningJ-sig-4204
John Manning
[3953 & 4204]



Smith F. Manning, Esq., JP
Address: The Park.
Subscriber: April 1902 to 1916.
Share number: 144 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
The share was passed from John Manning.
He attended the General Meeting: 1916.

He was a subscriber to Russell’s History (1916).

Gift (with E.L. Manning):
Minuted book requests:
He bought from the Library:
Newspapers - ‘Papers 2nd hand’ 6s 0d 29/12/1900
Books 6s 0d 26/11/1902
Books
£1 5s 0d 13/11/1901
Books 2s 0d 20/11/1914



Mansell
See –– Jones & Mansell, Upholsterers.


Henry Mills Mansfeldt, FGS
Civil engineer with Coke, Mills & Coke.
Address: Bromley House (Kelly, 1891).


Manson
See –– Christie & Manson, auctioneers.


Rev A.J.G. Manson
Address: Barton.
Subscriber: 3/6/1844 to 10/7/1845.

The Standfast Ledger records 11 borrowings between 16/9/1837 and 25/11/1844.   
The transfer of this share was subject to arrears of subscriptions being paid.


Dr Alexander Manson, FRS
Subscriber: 2/6/1823 to 4/4/1842.

He was elected to the Committee for 1832-3 but declined to serve on it.
The final transfer was from Mrs Manson.


Ann, Dowager Countess Manvers (1756-1832)
Address: Thoresby Hall; Holme Pierrepont Hall.
Subscriber: 6/12/1816 to 3/9/1832.
Patron.

Ann Orton Mill (1756-1832) married Charles Medows (1737-1816), son of Philip Medows and Frances, daughter of Evelyn Pierrepont (c.1695-1726), 5th Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull.
Charles later took the name Pierrepont, and in 1806 was created 1st Earl Manvers.
The Countess was noted for her good works in education and she founded a school in Radcliffe-on-Trent in 1825. (Priestland, 1989)

Her share was transferred to her son, Charles Herbert Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers.


Charles Herbert Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers (1778-1860)
Address: Thoresby Hall; Holme Pierrepont Hall.
Subscriber: 3/9/1832 to 5/6/1837.

After a brief naval career the death of his elder brother in 1801 led to his turning his attention towards the family estates and, as Viscount Newark, he sat as Member of Parliament for Nottinghamshire.

After the death of his father in 1816 he returned to Nottinghamshire to run the estates at Thoresby and Holme Pierrepont.

He served the community as a governor of the Sneinton Lunatic Asylum, as president of the Nottingham Dispensary and as a member of the board of Nottingham General Hospital.
He supported the Mechanics Institute in Mansfield and the Nottingham Ragged School.
He was married to Mary Letitia Eyre (1784-1860) of Grove in Nottinghamshire and they had six children. (Priestland, 1989)

His share was transferred from his late mother, Ann, Dowager Countess Manvers.


John Maples
Subscriber: 5/2/1844 to 1/4/1850.


Robert Maples
In 1820 he was an applicant for the post of librarian (5/6/1820).


Samuel Maples
Subscriber: 6/2/1865 to 1/3/1892.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.



Count Ubaldo Marioni
Librarian: 1/12/1857 to 1/7/1867.
Address: Park Row (1858); Canning Street (1862); Forest Road (1864); Arboretum Street (1866).

Of the 39 candidates who applied to replace John Walton as librarian in 1857, twelve made the first short-list and then six were on a second list, of which Ubaldo Marioni was one, and who received detailed consideration.
He was appointed at £100 per annum after a ballot against William Richardson held on 11/12/1857.

Count Ubaldo Marioni had come to England as a political refugee after the occupation of his native Perugia by the Austrians in 1849.
Perugia is in central Italy and about 100 miles north of Rome.
His family had lived there for many generations and were of some importance.
He was named after St Ubaldo, a 12th century Bishop of Gubbio. Gubbio is a town about 25 miles north of Perugia and Ubaldo's family had connections there.

In May 1849 Ubaldo came to London as an envoy of Giuseppe Mazzini’s Roman Republic and had accreditation from Carlo Rusconi, the foreign secretary his native republic and he had been a member of its assembly before the invasion by the French troops.

Marioni stayed in London with Thomas and Jane Carlyle at their residence in Cheyne Row, Chelsea and it is possible that Joseph Neuberg, a Bavarian merchant, Bromley House subscriber and resident of The Park, and his sister, who were friends of the Carlyles, introduced Marioni to Nottingham.

In April 1857 Mazzini wrote to Jessie Meriton White:
Do not write to Marioni; good as he is, he knows nothing about the actual condition of Italy: he has not a single correspondent since years and is in a dreamy half-Piedmontese, half-Palmerstonian condition.

This lack of confidence by the émigré community may have persuaded Marioni that his future lay elsewhere, and specifically in Nottingham.
The Library was not particularly strong in the literature of the Italian political struggle as might have been expected with a librarian with these origins.

He seems to have been a satisfactory, if not outstanding, librarian not taking his duties more seriously than was strictly necessary.
Although the Library was open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays to Saturdays he left at 8.20 in the evening and at 3.30 p.m. on Saturdays, returning at 10.30 a.m. on Mondays.
His two weeks of holiday became extended to a month (Taylor, 1988).

'Slow but steady progress is making in the formation of a New Catalogue' was reported to the 1863 General Meeting and a year later the catalogue was due ‘in a few weeks’.
On 1/8/1864 he received £3. 3s. 0d (increased to £6 6s. 0d on 5/9/1864) for work on the catalogue, but there is reason to believe that much of the work was done by John Banwell, the assistant librarian.

However, in March 1867 the combined salaries of £152 per year for librarians Count Marioni and John Banwell caused a protest from subscribers.

The Minute Book for 11/3/1866 has the following entry:
A document of which the following is a copy was affixed in the Library on the 2nd day of March 1867.

Bromley House Library
    Pursuant to the 25th Rule notice is hereby given that at the annual general meeting of the Shareholders to be holden on the first Tuesday in April 1867 the following resolution will be proposed for adoption. - Viz. -
    That in the opinion of this meeting the expenditure in Salaries and Wages is excessive, and that the Committee be, and are hereby requested to take immediate steps to reduce the same and at the same time secure greater efficiency in the service of the Library.

The names of 23 subscribers appear below this and their presence is individually recorded against their names in the main list.

No mention of this protest is made in the minutes of the 1867 Annual General Meeting.

Obviously Count Marioni was out of favour with some subscribers and in the Spring of 1867 he had resigned.

The minutes for 15/3/1867 contain:
To Samuel Newham
President of Bromley House Library
Sir
    You are aware that I some time ago placed my Resignation as Librarian in your hands but with the view that its acceptance by the Committee should be deferred until Xmas next.
    Finding however that dissatisfaction exists amongst some of the Subscribers who might become an increasing source of unpleasant feeling between me and them I have reflected that I should best consult the interests of the Institution and my own character as a Gentleman by requesting you to accept my resignation.
    At the same time permit me to say with all sincerity and activated by the single desire that the Institution of the Library should not suffer I will cheerfully if it be the wish of the Committee continue my service for another 3 months, i.e. until 1st July when I should respectfully beg to retire.
    With the warmest feeling of respect to you and the Committee and of thankfulness for the kindness I have invariably received at their hands during the 9 past years of my office.
I have the honour to be
Sir
Your most obedient servant
Marioni

However, at the 1867 Annual General Meeting Colonel Wright proposed and J. Bishop seconded a vote of thanks to Count Marioni and this was carried 'by a large majority’' which was perhaps indicative of the antipathy towards him from some subscribers.

Marioni had many supporters and over the next few months they rallied to his cause so that the Committee meeting of 3/6/1867 recorded:
The following is a copy of the memorial referred to in the last resolution

To the Committee of Bromley House Library
    We the undersigned Shareholders earnestly desire that Count Marioni may be requested to retain office as Librarian until the end of the present year.
    From the letter of the Count entered in the Committee Minute Book it appears that when he several months ago placed his resignation in the hands of the President, he expressed the wish to remain in Office until next december, when he would have completed ten years service.
    We feel confident that if this wish had been mentioned at the Annual Meeting it would have met with a hearty response and remembering the Count’s long, faithful and able services (to which the Committee and Shareholders have recently borne testimony) we desire that effect should now be given to the Count’s wish and that such arrangement should be made by the Committee as well secures to the Library the advantage of his services, until the close of the present year.
This was dated 8/5/1867 and below are listed 135 names. (These have been entered individually in the Main List.)

However, despite this strength of support, which included the Duke of Newcastle, Marioni left and on 1/7/1867 John Banwell was promoted from assistant to Librarian.

The Count, who it seems never married, died aged 82 at Woodhouse Eaves on 6 October 1886.

His will, dated 4 November 1882 was witnessed, and presumably drawn up, by W.H. Toone, a Loughborough solicitor.

He left all his estate with a gross value of £423 5s 5d:
Unto my two dear friends Sophia Perry Herrick of Beaumanor Park and the Reverend Thomas Street Millington of Woodhouse Eaves.

Sophia Herrick was the widow of William Perry Herrick (1794-1876) who had married her in 1862 when she was aged 29.
Sophia Herrick is buried in the churchyard at St Mary-in-the-Elms church at Woodhouse, but Marioni has no memorial either there or at St Paul’s church at Woodhouse Eaves.

Ubaldo Marioni's letters

The Nottinghamshire Archives contains 36 letters (M5805 to M5840) written by Marioni between September 1881 and August 1882 from Woodhouse Eaves, near Loughborough, to Richard Enfield, the Nottingham solicitor Low Pavement.

Count Marioni was making payments to support a school for orphan girls in Naples and these were handled by Madame Julie Salis Schwabe (1819-1896).

Transcripts of these 36 letters and a brief account of the life and work of Julie Salis Schwabe can be found in The Marioni Letters (Priestland, 2007)


Marriott & Son
Insurance agents
On 23/7/1909 they returned £2 2s 6d to the Library as ‘premium refunded’.
See –– Insurance (Imperial Fire Insurance).


Mrs Marriott
Subscriber: 3/4/1821 to April 1829
Address: Cropwell.


Mr Marriott
The Subscription Book records a payment of £1 11s 6d on 22/4/1834 by a Mr Marriott for the use of the Lecture Room at Bromley House for three nights.


Mr Marriott
In 1838 he was to pay 2s 6d per annum for use of window in the passage (7/5/1838).

The Subscription Book records payments of 2s 6d as an 'acknowledgement for two windows to passage' on 14/5/1838, 31/7/1839 and 2/1/1841 and 5s 0d for two years on 11/2/1843.


Frances Marriotte
She signed the Library Rules (1816-1831).


Joseph Marriott
Subscriber: 5/12/1831 to 3/12/1838.


Richard Marriott
Solicitor.
Address: The Grange, Cropwell Butler.
Subscriber: 3/11/1908 to 1916.
Share number: 97 (counterfoil dated 16/4/1909).

He was born on 27/4/1843 at Langar Hall and educated at Rossall College.

MarriottR-4041
Richard Marriott
[4041]



Thomas Marriott
Subscriber: 7/5/1838 to 5/2/1844.
See –– William Parsons' Diary.


Thomas Marriott
Address: Lamcote Hall, Radcliffe-on-Trent.
Subscriber: 1/9/1851 to 5/12/1859.

He look over Lamcote Hall in 1856 and was a well known magistrate and father-in-law of the Rev Robert Burgess of Radcliffe-on-Trent and the Rev J.W.M. Piercy of Slawston in Leicestershire.

Marriott committed suicide by drowning in a water cistern while suffering from depression.
This occurred at East Langton and he is buried at Saddington near Market Harborough. (Priestland, 1989)
See also –– William Parsons' Diary.


William Marriott
See –– Insurance (Imperial Fire Insurance).


Marriott Munk(e) & Co.
Tenant.

In January 1845 they received permission to break out another window in their Counting House at an acknowledgement of 10s 0d for each window and these windows to have iron bars fitted (6/1/1845)


Dr Marsden
Newsroom subscriber: 1831, 1832, 1833.


T.C.L. Marsh
Subscriber: 1/3/1847 to 4/9/1848.
Address: Stoney Street, Nottingham.


A. Marshall
He supplied a book for 12s 6d in January 1907.


Arthur Marshall
Architect.
Address: Woodside, Chilwell.
Subscriber: 10/7/1900 to 1916.
Share number: 194 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).

Minuted book request:
See –– William Baldwin Marshall for other possible book requests.

Arthur Marshall was born in Nottingham on 23/12/1858 and educated at Brunswick House Collegiate School, Hammersmith. He was a keen photographer.

Buildings for which Marshall was responsible as architect include:
  • Hawtonville Hospital (formerly the Union Infirmary), Boundary Road, Newark (1905);
  • Lenton Hurst (now part of Lenton Hall), University of Nottingham (c. 1900);
  • Brightlands, Clumber Road East for the photographer Samuel Bourne (1885);
  • Bagworth Workhouse addition to the City Hospital on Edwards Lane (1903);
  • Forest Lodge, Sherwood Rise;
  • extension of Fernleigh, Alexandra Park for J.D. Player (c.1895-1906).
       
(Pevsner & Williamson, 1979)

His death was noted at the 1915 General Meeting.

MarshallA-4060
Arthur Marshall
[4060]



Frank William Marshall, Esq.
See –– Frank William Martin.


Thomas Marshall
Lace manufacturer.
Address: Stoney Street.
Subscriber: 1/9/1845 to 6/10/1845.


William Baldwin Marshall
Bank manager.
Address: 58 Ebury Road.
Subscriber: 1/5/1899 to 1916.
Share number: 145 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
Committee: 1903, 1904, 1907, 1908, 1909.
Book Committee: 1903, 1904, 1907, 1909.
Sub-committee to deal with Pearson & Son’s tenancy (2/3/1909).
Insurance sub-committee: 2/11/1909.
Scrutator: 1913.
He attended General Meetings: 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1909.

Minuted book requests (first two as just 'Marshall' could be 'Arthur Marshall'):

He bought books from the Library for:
10s 6d 30/11/1900
5s 0d 11/12/1908
10s 0d 10/12/1913
8s 6d 13/11/1901
5s 0d 25/11/1910
9s 9d 20/11/1914
1s 0d 7/11/1907
4s 0d 5/12/1912
5s 6d 13/1/1916

He was a subscriber to Russell’s History (1916).


Mr Martin
This name appears on the Bill for legal work in association with the purchase of Bromley House (1822).


Martin & Son

See –– Insurance (Sun Fire Office)


Frank William Martin
Solicitor.
Address: Castle Court, Newcastle Drive, The Park.
Subscriber: 3/3/1890 to 1916.
Share number: 146.
The share was transferred from John Martin.
Counterfoil and share certificate number 146 for share 146 were incorrectly completed with the name ‘Frank William Martin’ on the counterfoil and ‘Frank William Marshall of Castle Court, Newcastle Drive’ on the certificate.
Neither were signed or dated and certificate number 147 was subsequently used for share 146).
It seems more likely that 'Frank William Marshall' did not exist and entries for him are erroneous.


Rev J. Martin
Subscriber: 1/8/1859 to 2/8/1869.
Committee: 1862, 1863, 1865, 1866, 1868, 1869.
He attended the Committee on 3/10/1864 and again on 2/5/1867 although not a member at the time.
He was recorded as leaving the committee on 2/8/1869 as he had ‘left town’.


John George Martin, Esq.
Solicitor.
Address: Strathmore, 17 Magdala Road.
Subscriber: 1/4/1890 to 1916.
Share number: 147 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
He was born in Nottingham on 5/4/1857.

MartinJG-4043
John George Martin
[4043]



John Martin
Subscriber: 4/9/1871 to 3/3/1890.
The share was transferred to F.W. Martin.


John Martin and Martin & Son
See –– Insurance (Sun Fire Office).


Mrs Marx
Subscriber: 7/5/1877 to 7/6/1880.
Address: Basford.
Deceased. The share was transferred to J.P.W. Marx.


Mrs A. Marx
Subscriber: April 1861 to 10/3/1868.
The share was passed from Adolphus Marx.


Adolphus Marx
Subscriber: 3/11/1845 to April 1861.
The share was passed to Mrs Marx.


John Peter William Marx, Esq.
Solicitor.
Address: The Firs, Old Basford.
Subscriber: 3/5/1880 to 5/2/1907.
Share number: 148 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1900; an error for 9/2/1901).
The share was transferred from Mrs Marx.
He was present at the 1894 General Meeting.
Deceased.


Michael Mason, Esq.
Lace merchant.
Address: Colwick House, Colwick.
Subscriber: 6/11/1876 to 1916.
Share number: 149 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).


Samuel B. Mason
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 1/11/1819.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).


Wm. Mason
There is confusion with this name.
It looks like Mr Beveridge in the committee minutes (7/2/1825) but like Wm. Mason or Wm. Nunn in the General Meeting minutes.


John Thornton Masser
Address: Ivy Bank, Mapperley Road and The Oaks, Brighouse, Yorkshire.
A registration fee of 2s 6d for a share transfer was received on 1/9/1910.

He was born in Basford on 24/6/1855 and educated at Bradford High School and Bramham College, Tadcaster, Yorkshire.
On 11/7/1885 he married Jessie Margaret, the daughter of Henry Legge of Middlesex.

MasserJT-4044
John Thornton Masser
[4044]



Mr Massey
The Subscription Book records a payment of 1s 0d for a key on 27/7/1841, but whether this was provided for Mr Massey or obtained from him is not stated.


Edward Massey, Esq.
Engineer. Goddard, Massey & Warner Ltd.
Address: Oakfield, Cyprus Road.
Subscriber: 7/8/1888 to 5/2/1907.
Share number: 150 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).

MasseyE-4105
Edward Massey
[4105]



Dr Isaac Massey, MD (d.1891)
Physician.
Subscriber: 5/8/1839 to 7/5/1866.
Committee: 1850, 1851.
Auditor: 1852.
Scrutator: 1853.

The Standfast Ledger records two borrowings between 1/7/1850 and 6/9/1867.

He was born in Thrumpton where his father was a farmer.

Of quite habits and simple tastes he set up a family memorial in All Saints' church, Thrumpton in the form of three stained glass windows.
He was also able to endow a charity supporting widows and fatherless girls and others. (Mellors, 1924)


Mr Mather
Newsroom subscriber: 1833.


Rev J. Matheson
Subscriber: 5/11/1855 to 4/2/1884.
Committee: 1857, 1858, 1860, 1861, 1863, 1864, 1866, 1867, 1869, 1870, 1872, 1873, 1875.
Book Committee: 1876.
Auditor: 1862.
He was co-opted to the Catalogue Committee on 15/10/1862.

The Standfast Ledger records one borrowing on 12/6/1861.

In May 1875 he formed part of the sub-committee to choose books of permanent value (3/5/1875) and in 1876 he seconded alterations to the Rules concerning election of the Committee (7/2/1876).


Matthews & Co. (Dixon & Parker)
A photograph dated as about 1880 shows Bromley House with railings either side of the central steps and doorway.
To the right is an unidentifiable shop.
To the left (towards the Bell Inn) is another shop with Matthews and Co in large capital letters above and between the second floor windows and Tailors' also in capitals and above the first floor windows.

See –– S. Bullivant.


W. Matthews
See –– John Allen.


Names beginning with Mc are treated as beginning with Mac.



Mechanics’ Institution
From 1837 the Institution had one of the many libraries operating in parallel to Bromley House in the mid-19th century.

In the 1830s it was situated in St James’s Street and its use cost 4s 0d per year.
They opened a purpose-built building with a lecture room, a museum and a library in 1845. (Hoare, 1991; Mastoris, 1991)


Medical Society
See –– Oldknow.


Medico-Chirurgical Society
The inaugural lectures of the medical school of this society, founded in 1828, were held at Bromley House.
The Society was seeking premises in 1905 and Barber Walker & Co, coal dealers and tenants at Bromley House, were willing to pay the rent and allow them to use their little used accommodation at the Library (14/2/1905).

The terms discussed were £85 per annum plus rates for seven years along with the costs of removing the tenant of the back room (G.H. Parr) to another room on the opposite side of the passage.
Alterations were to be allowed subject to the approval of Evans & Son, architects.
This scheme due to commence on 29/9/1909 had fallen through by 5/10/1909.

William Morley Willis was the Honorary Secretary in 1905.
The Library Committee was willing to help but the minute records that there were unspecified difficulties.

Volumes from the Sydenham Society were presented by the directors of Bromley House to the Medico-Chirurgical Society in 1928 and they went thence to the library at the Queen’s Medical Centre. (Hoare, 1991)


Rev J. Medley
Subscriber: 4/4/1876 to 4/4/1893.
Despite his not being a member of the Committee he attended its meetings in December 1877 and January 1878.
Scrutator: 1888, 1889.
The name was also read as E. Medley in early minutes.


John Mee

Subscriber: 1/4/1839 to 7/3/1842.


Alfred Mellor

Address: Ruddington.
Subscriber: 5/2/1872 to 6/12/1875.


Charles Mellor
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 2/8/1819.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).


John Mellor
Subscriber: 5/3/1838 to 6/11/1848.
The transfer of the share is also recorded for 3/9/1849.


Mrs R. Mellors
Minuted book request:


Robert Mellors
Gentleman and chartered accountant.
Address: King John's Chambers, Bridlesmith gate and Locksley House, Pelham Road.
Subscriber: 9/4/1907 to 1916.
Share number: 153 (counterfoil dated 9/4/1907).
He attended General Meetings: 1915, 1916.

Gift from Alderman Mellors:
Minuted book requests:

He wrote Men of Nottingham and Nottinghamshire (1924) and was thanked for a gift of one of his books (20/4/1909).
He was a subscriber to Russell’s History (1916).

He was born on 26/4/1835 and he married Mary, the daughter of Rev T.J. Goddard, Vicar of Laneham.
They had seven sons (two had died by 1910) and four daughters.

MellorsR-4088
Robert Mellors
[4088]



David Melville
Address: Nuthall.
Subscriber: 1/10/1838 to 5/5/1851.
Newsroom subscriber: 1832, 1833.
Committee: 1842, 1843, 1846, 1847.
The Standfast Ledger records one borrowings between 21/1/1841 and 21/1/1841.
On 5/12/1842 he put forward a proposal concerning the delivery of new books from C.N. Wright.


William Melville (d.1848)
Cotton spinner.
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 1/2/1847.
Newsroom subscriber: 1831, 1832, 1833.
Committee: 1819, 1820, 1822.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1831).
He was named as a Trustee of Bromley House in the minute and document of 1/4/1822.
The Share Interest Book shows that he held one Bromley House Building Share from 1831 to 1848.
On 4/12/1837 he was in arrears with subscriptions and owed fines.
His recent death was noted at the 1848 General meeting as it brought the number of Trustees down to seven.


Richard Mercer
Address: Chapel Bar.
Subscriber: 3/7/1848 to 2/3/1868.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.


P. Mequianion
See –– Robert Laurie (engraver).


William Mew

Address: Fletcher Gate
Subscriber: 27/11/1818 to 6/6/1825.


Paul Meyer, Esq.
Merchant.
Address: Pelham Crescent, The Park.
Subscriber: 3/12/1889 to 10/9/1912.
Share number: 151 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
He was also listed as Meyor.



Nicholas Michell (1807-1880)
Poet.
Address: Tehidy Terrace, Falmouth (1880)
   
The records show that on 2/12/1878 he gave four volumes of his poetical works.

During a book cleaning day in September 2007 the author found a letter in side one of these books and this triggered the following information to be assembled.

The four books of poetry donated were:
The first three of these are still in the LIbrary and have attractive green and gold bindings.
The fourth, The Immortals, has had its Accessions Book entry crossed through and it was no longer in the book stock by 1904.

Nicholas Michell was born in Calenick, near Truro on 4/6/1880 and was the son of John Michell (1774-1868) who was described as the father of the Cornish tin trade.
Nicholas was educated at Truro Grammar School.

Described as 'a miscellaneous writer' he was best known for his poetry, although he wrote a number of novels.
He was encouraged as a young man by Thomas Campbell (1777-1844) author of Gertrude of Wyoming and of The Pleasure of Hope.
On 3/8/1836 he married Maria, daughter of John Waterhouse of Halifax.
Maria died in Penzance on 9/6/1887 aged 74.

An inscription inside Nature and Life [Db 1084] reads:
Nature and Life also has pasted into it a two page letter from Nicholas Michell which reads:
The Bromley House Library
Nottingham
Presented by the Author
    Tehidy Terrace,
    Falmouth.
    Nov. 1878

Tehidy Terrace,
    Falmouth
    Nov, 1878
Dear Sir,
    Wishing to present to the Bromley House Library an Illustrated volume of mine, just published, and the last Revised Edition of three other little works, I beg to say I have forwarded by post the volumes named on the other side.
    I have some very old and valued friends residing in your Town, and they are pleased to think that the books might not be unacceptable to you. –– If therefore your Committee will receive them as presented to the Library by the Author, I shall feel gratified
    I am,
    Yours faithfully,
    Nicholas Michell

p.post.
Nature and Life – just published
Famous Women and heroes
The Immortals
Pleasure
- - - - - - - - - - - -
The Secretary of
"The Bromley House Library"
The other two surviving members of the quartet of books carry similar inscriptions.


Nicholas Michell died at his home in Tehidy Terrace, North Parade, Falmouth (overlooking the harbour) on 6/4/1880 and was buried at St Kea on 12/4/1880.

MichellN-4346
MichellN-book-4345
Nicholas Michell (1807-1880)
[4346]
 The cover of Nature and Life
[4345]


Perhaps Michell has gained an undue prominence in this directory, but items such as this have added to the fascination of the project.
Much material for the above came from the 1900 Dictionary of National Biography.



Mrs Susanna Middlemore
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 27/2/1818.
She signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).


T. Miiddlemore
Gift:
The Presents Book records that this came from Mrs T. Middlemore in 1901 through W.P.W. Phillimore.


Wallace Edwin Middleton (1878-1956)
Architects’ and engineers’ photographer.
Address: Bromley House.

He trained with Henri Louis Morel in Nottingham and started with duties of delivery boy.
On 25/3/1901 he took over the Bromley House studios used by Sylvanus Redgate and in November 1902 the Committee had agreed to him having a showcase near the front door.

His rent was £20 per annum paid quarterly and the Library rent Book recorded payments from March 1901 to 1916.
A yearly 'acknowledgement' was due on 1 January under an agreement dated 25/3/1895.

His studio roof was repaired (10/3/1903) and Kendal’s estimate of £3 3s 0d for fitting Hartley’s glass was accepted.
Two years later he wished to sub-let to Watts, coal agent (4/7/1905).
He was allowed to fit electric light in studio (12/6/1906) and his staircase was stained and varnished (7/7/1908).

Pearson & Son complained (2/1/1906) of a wire and wood frame hanging over their premises and he was instructed to remove it.
The frame was used for daylight printing of photographs. Another frame intruded on Pearson in 1910 and a small sum by way of compensation was suggested.

In 1910 the Committee agreed to Middleton having Evans re-glaze the skylight to the studio staircase at his, Middleton’s, expense and with the old 'bull-point' glass being retained (7/6/1910).
He also requested a door between the studio and the adjoining room and this too was agreed.
A request for payment for decoration was deferred, but 30s 0d was allowed a month later (7/7/1910).

In 1907 Middleton was paid 7s 6d for photographing a portrait (5/11/1907) and in 1910 he received 17s 6d for a switch cupboard in the hall on 7 June and £1 10s 0d for cleaning on 7 July.

Electric light was extended to the studio with due precaution being taken with respect to fire and damage to the building. (12/6/1906).
On 7/7/1908 the Committee agreed to the staining and varnishing of the treads and risers of Middleton’s staircase.
This had a step with a hidden switch that activated a bell to indicate approaching customers.

On 6/1/1914 he wrote to the Committee reporting a fire on his premises at Bromley House.
He had subdued it with the use of a hose pipe before the Fire Brigade arrived.
He was to take the advice of the insurance company and he wished to thank the Library for the help given by Mr Coggins, assistant librarian, in telephoning the Fire Brigade.
See –– Pearson & Son; R.C. Sutton.

Wallace Edwin Middleton was the tenant in 1916 when this survey terminates.


Lady Middleton
Subscriber: 1839 to 1/8/1842.
She was a Patron from 1840 to August 1842.

Between 1825 and 1856 the title of 7th Baron Middleton was held by the unmarried Digby Willoughby.
Thus it seems that this was Jane, widow of Henry Willoughby, 6th Baron Middleton (1761-1825) and daughter of Sir Robert Lawley.
See –– Willoughby.


Lord Middleton
A Lord Middleton was a member of the 'Town Class' of the White Lion Book Society in 1788.
This was Henry Willoughby, 6th Baron Middleton (1761-1825).

A Lord Middleton was Patron of the Library from April 1821 to 1839.
In 1821 the title was held by Henry Willoughby, 6th Baron Middleton (1761-1825).
On his death the Patronage must have been passed to his cousin Digby Willoughby, 7th Baron Middleton (1769-1856).

See –– William Moore; Willoughby.


Rt.Hon. Lord Middleton
Subscriber: 3/4/1821 to 1839.
Patron: 3/4/1821 to 1839. The patronage was then passed to Lady Middleton (q.v.).
Newsroom subscriber: 1831, 1832, 1833.

Between 1825 and 1856 the title of 7th Baron Middleton was held by the unmarried Digby Willoughby (1769-1856).
See –– Willoughby.


Midland Institution for the Blind
See –– Royal Midland Institute for the Blind


Miles & Son

A number of payments for books were made between January 1894 and May 1895:
£6 0s 10d 2/1/1894
£5 0s 0d 16/7/1894
£5 10s 6d May 1895
A parcel costing 1s 1d was sent on 14/12/1893.



Thomas Miles
Librarian.
He was appointed as assistant librarian when William Moore was dismissed and Arthur Lineker was promoted to Librarian (10/5/1899).
His salary was 12s 0d per week, but this was increased to 14s 0d on 8/5/1900.

He left with effect from 13/8/1901 and was replaced by F.W. Thorne.


T. Miles & Co
Address: London.
They were paid 10s 1d in January 1903 for unspecified services and a letter about another was sent on 11/12/1903.


Mr Miller
Artist and tenant.
On 7/11/1854 he applied for the use of the room previously used by Haynes and at a rent of £12 per year.
He had a reference from J. Beecroft.

In 1855 his residue of rent was to be cleared by his cleaning two pictures (2/7/1855).


A.W.K. Miller
Address: Department of Printed Books, British Museum, London, W.C.
On 7/6/1906 he replied when Arthur Lineker wrote to the British Museum concerning damage to the Bromley House copy of Audobon's Birds of America.
Miller replied that: the part of the leaf on plate LXIII which has been cut out of your copy is plain and does not bear a grub or insect or other object.
A tracing of part of the plate is included with this letter in the Library archive.


John M. Miller
Subscriber: 2/11/1846 to 2/4/1849.
The share was transferred to W.W. Miller.


Mrs Mary Miller
Address: Uphill House, Derby Road.
Subscriber: 12/6/1900 to 13/10/1903.
Share number: 255 (Counterfoil dated 30/11/1901).
The share transfer was from Mrs Mary Parker, presumably she had remarried.


Reginald Walter Miller, Esq.
Solicitor.
Address: The Cottage, Old Lenton.
Subscriber: 13/2/1900 to 1/10/1913.
Share number: 152 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).


W.W. Miller

He was paid £2 5s 0d in June 1903 for unspecified services.


W.W. Miller
Subscriber: 2/4/1849 to 1/7/1850.
The share was transferred from J.M. Miller.
He was one who presented a motion regarding the licensing of the vaults at the 1861 General Meeting.


W.W. Miller
Subscriber: 1/3/1852 to 1/1/1869
In 1867 he was one of the 23 subscribers asking that salaries and wages at the Library be reduced (2/3/1867).


W.W. Miller
Subscriber: 7/9/1886 to 1/3/1892.


Rev Thomas Street Millington
See –– Ubaldo Marioni.


Mills
See –– Coke & Mills.


Mrs G. Mills
Subscriber: April 1855 to about 1862.
The share was passed to George B. Mills.


George B. Mills
Subscriber: about 1862 to 14/6/1892.
The share was passed from J. Mills.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.
Deceased.


John Mills
Subscriber: April 1846 to April 1855.
Newsroom subscriber: 1831.
The share was transferred to Mrs G. Mills.


John C. Mills
Subscriber: 15/7/1822 to 2/1/1843.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).


Philo L. Mills (c.1832-1905)
Merchant.
Address: Wilford Cottage (from 1874), Ruddington Hall, Ruddington (1902).
Subscriber: 5/3/1877 to 9/4/1907.
Share number: 153 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
He bought an original share for £30 (or £25 in the Accounts Book) on 1/3/1877.

American by birth he came to Nottingham to supervise the lace and curtain export business of Mills & Gibb.
He reared pedigree cattle for which he was widely noted.
His aim was to improve farmers' incomes and the nation's nutrition through stock improvements.
In 1881 he bought Ruddington Hall.

He was President of the Nottingham Young Men's Christian Association. (Mellors, 1914)

In 1857 he married Susan Neilson, daughter of Dr J.A. McVickar of New York.
Deceased.
MillsPL-4027
Philo L. Mills (c.1832-1905)
[4027]



T. Mills & Co.
They supplied small quantities of books on four occasions between January 1894 to May 1896 a costs of between £4 9s 0d to £6 0s 10d.


Mrs Lydia M. Milne
Widow.
Address: 88 Musters Road, West Bridgford.
Subscriber: April 1901 to 1916.
Share number: 154 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).
The share was passed from S. Milne.
Her death was noted at the 1911 General Meeting.


S. Milne
Subscriber: April 1870 to April 1901
The share was listed as being with his representatives from 1878 to 1901 when it passed to Mrs L.M. Milne.


Milner
Safe manufacturers.
A fire proof safe was purchased from Josh. Palethorpe for £10 (14/8/1894) and paid for on 2/10/1894.


J. Milnes
Subscriber: 2/10/1854 to 5/11/1855.


Mark Milnes
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 24/7/1818.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).


Thomas B. Milnes
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 19/2/1819.


R. Milward
Subscriber: 1/9/1856 to 7/6/1858.


Minimax Fire Extinguishers
The Library paid £3 5s 0d for extinguishers in February 1914.


Minnett
See –– Munnett.


Mr Minnett
Newsroom subscriber: 1833.


Mrs Mitchell

Her request to use the Library was rejected, but she was given 'conditional use' (7/7/1908).
Minuted book request:


Rev J.A. Mitchell
Subscriber: 3/1/1881 to 2/1/1894.
Committee: 1891, 1892.
Scrutator: 13/3/1900.
Book Committee: 1891, 1898, 1899, 1901, 1902.
Circulating Library Sub-committee: 14/6/1892.
Standfast Library Sub-committee: 5/7/1892.
See –– E.H. Fraser.


Rev James Alexander Mitchell
Professor of Theology.
Address: 22 Newstead Grove.
Subscriber: 5/4/1898 to 13/3/1905.
Share number: 155 (counterfoil undated).
Committee: 1898, 1899, 1901, 1902.
He was mentioned as 'Principal' in the minutes.

He proposed a motion, seconded by W.W. Lewis that the new rules of the Library, that had been revised following a decision of 13/6/1899, should be printed (at a cost of £10 12s 0d) (6/1/1900).

He attended the General Meeting: 1902.
His death in 1905 was recorded and the Committee sent a letter of condolence (8/5/1905) to which his widow replied (2/5/1905 and 6/6/1905).

MitchellJA-sig-4236
The signature of
Rev James Alexander Mitchell
[4236]



Mrs Jane Mitchell
Widow.
Address: Greenholme, Forest Road West.
Subscriber: 4/1/1910 to 1916.
Share number: 202 (counterfoil dated 12/4/1910).
A registration fee of 2s 6d for share transfer was received on 18/12/1909.


Mr Moody
Subscriber: 11/11/1861 to 4/9/1865.
He was co-opted to the Catalogue Committee on 15/10/1862, although his name is crossed through in the Committee minutes.


Mrs Mooney
On 3/10/1859 it was agreed that she was allowed to consult books in the Library.


Mr Moore
On 7/2/1832 he paid £1 2s 0d for the Globe. (Newsroom Subscription Book 1831-1834)


Mrs Moore
A letter regretting the loss of her services was sent on 6/11/1912.


J. William Moore
Librarian - 10/7/1893 to 6/4/1899.

He was appointed as assistant librarian on 1/7/1867 at 6s 0d per week.
This was raised to 8s 0d (4/5/1868), to 10s 0d (3/5/1869) and to 12s 6d per week (5/4/1870).
On 3/10/1870 he received a £1 gratuity for his help in the cleaning of the Library.

His income continued to increase: to 15s 0d (4/4/1871), then a further 2s 6d per week, and on 1/4/1873 it rose to a weekly 20s 0d.
A further increase brought it to 25s 0d. (2/10/1876) and 'this considered to be the maximum'.
An extra £10 came his way for his help with the catalogue.
He produced the Supplementary catalogue of books added from 1881 to 1894 which appeared in January 1895 with his name on the title page.
The Committee raised his salary by £5 5s 0d per annum making £1 7s 2d per week (3/7/1888) and in 1893 he was being paid £2 14s 0d fortnightly.
The Library Association held its Annual General Meeting in Nottingham in September 1891 and it may be that Banwell (librarian), and Moore (assistant librarian) attended it [Peter Hoare].

At a special Committee meeting held on Monday 10 July 1893 at 5 p.m. at the offices of the Honorary Secretary (H.E. Hubbart) at 10 South Parade, J.C. Banwell was to be asked to resign as Librarian.
H. Dixon proposed, with S.H. Sands as seconder, that the post go to William Moore at a salary of £90 per annum with the residence at Bromley House and with gas, coal and water provided and taxes paid.
He would be paid fortnightly and there would be three months notice on either side.
Moore's acceptance letter is recorded for 12 July 1893.
His salary was increased by £20 to £90 per year with effect from 18/7/1894 (14/8/1894).
From 11/8/1893 he was paid £3 9s 3d every two weeks by cheque.
So he had gone from £15 12s 0d per year in 1867 to £90 0s 0d in 1893 26 years later.

He, with the permission of John Manning (President) and Samuel H. Sands (Secretary), applied successfully to H.M. Stationery Office to receive from the Lords Commissioners of the Treasury 162 volumes of The Chronicles and Memorials of Great Britain and Ireland.
This was done with the support of the Rt. Hon Arnold Morley, MP.
A letter from W.G. Norton at HMSO explained that this was not fully possible and that there would be public access requirements attached.
It seems that some volumes were obtained (4/12/1894).
A number of public and other important libraries were regularly given sets of these and other HMSO publications [Peter Hoare].
Arnold Morley was given a vote of thanks and a letter of thanks for his contribution (4/12/1894 & 2/4/1895).

It was Moore who discovered the White Lion Book Club labels in some books at Bromley House and he wrote about them in Notts and Derbyshire Notes and Queries.
An Old Nottingham Book Society
    I have recently come across two book-labels headed 'Book Society - White Lion' dated 1788-9 and designated respectively 'Town Class' and 'North Class'. The 'Town Class' contains the following names of members:- John Sherwin, Esq., Mr Samuel Turner, Rev Dr Haines, Rev A.C. Launder, Francis Gawtherne, Esq., Thomas Frost, Esq., Rev Jeremiah Bigsby, Mr Thomas Rawson, Samuel Smith, Esq., Dr Storer, Rev John Blanchard, Mr Charles Pennington, Mr John Alleyne, Mr Robert Thompson, Mr Samuel Fox, Mr Francis Roe, Coape Sherbrooke, Esq., Rev James Eyton steward. The names of the members of the 'North Class' are:- Right Honourable Lord Middleton, Sir John B. Warren, Thomas Charlton, George Robinson, Esq., Hon, Henry Sedley, Rev Robert Stanser, John Newton, Esq., Rev J. Eyton steward.
    Each member was required to transmit the books to the person whose name immediately followed his own

Bromley House Library    W. Moore

He was given leave and £4 to attend a meeting of the Library Association in Cardiff from 10 to 13 September 1895 (13/8/1895).
This meeting proved useful as on 8/10/1895 the Committee considered a long and detailed letter from Moore making recommendations about the use of subscription libraries based on discussions he had had with other librarians at the Cardiff meeting.
He went to London (3/12/1895) to seek further information.

Christmas boxes
The Account Books show the seasonal generosity of the Library and Moore, as assistant librarian, regularly received a Christmas bonus which was about equal to his weekly wage.
The Librarian (J.C. Banwell) was presumably considered to be above such matters.
The gifts to others gives a tantalising glimpse of people also working at Bromley House and these may well include the gardener who received 3s 6d or 4s 0d for a day’s work, and the cleaner.
Unfortunately none of these are named in the accounts.
     
Christmas Boxes
Date
Moore's
Other individual Christmas boxes
Others
total
Weekly
wage
Christmas
box






24/12/1870 12s 0d 10s 0d






23/12/1871 15s 0d £1 0s 0d





3s 0d
28/12/1872 17s 0d £1 0s 0d





2s 0d
20/12/1873 £1 0s 0d £1 0s 0d





4s 6d
23/12/1874 £1 0s 0d £1 0s 0d





5s 0d
24/12/1875 £1 0s 0d £1 0s 0d





4s 0d
23/12/1876 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 1/- 6d 1/6

5s 6d
22/12/1877 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/- 1/- 1/- 1/- 1/-
6s 0d
21/12/1878
£1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d
2/6 1/- 6d 1/-

5s 0d
27/12/1879 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 2/- 1/-


5s 6d
24/12/1880 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d





3s 6d
24/12/1881 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 6d
1/-
2/-


6s 0d
23/12/1882 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d





6s 0d
22/12/1883 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 2/6 2/- 2/- 6d 3d 9s 9d
20/12/1884 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 2/6 1/- 1/- 6d 6d 8s 0d
26/12/1885 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 2/6 1/- 1/-  6d
7s 6d
25/12/1886 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d 2/6 2/6 3/- 1/- 1/- 1/- 11s 0d
24/12/1887 £1 5s 0d £1 0s 0d





13s 0d
24/12/1888 £1 7s 0d £1 0s 0d





18s 0d
24/12/1889 £1 7s 0d £1 0s 0d





18s 6d
27/12/1890 £1 7s 0d £1 0s 0d





£1 0s 6d
19/12/1891 £1 7s 0d £1 0s 0d





£1 0s 0d
24/12/1892







£1 18s 0d
2/1/1894

Postman 2/-, Window cleaner 2/- Drayman 1/- Lamplighter 1/- Derry’s porter 6d
6s 6d
31/12/1894

Sollory’s man 2/6 Railway 1/- Postman 2/- Derry’s man 1/-

6s 6d
1895

Window cleaner 2/6 Derry’s porter 1/- Postman 1/- Drayman 1/- Dustman 1/- Newspaper boy 6d 7s 0d

Moore was paid his last weekly wage of £1 7s 0d on 29/10/1892 and then received £27 0s 0d to cover the 18 week period from 5/11/1892 to 10/3/1893 (i.e. £1 10s 0d per week or £78 0s 0d per year).

Further salary increases
His salary was increased to £120 per year on 6/6/1896 and two months later (11/8/1896) his holiday allowance was increased to 14 days to be taken without inconvenience to the Library.
He was given permission to attend the Library Association meeting again, this time in Preston but with only £2 10s 0d as expenses.
The Committee meeting of 6/7/1897 agreed a payment of £5 for Moore to attend the International Libraries Conference along with the President, William Bradshaw. This conference was held in the Council Chamber of the Corporation of London and was attended by some 641 delegates, 21 of whom were from abroad including Melvil Dewey [Peter Hoare].

At this time (5/10/1897) Moore was honorary librarian to the Nottingham Naturalists Society and on 7/6/1898 it was agreed that he receive an extra 10s 0d per week for cleaning the Library and seeing that it was kept in good order.
The doorway to the house he used at Angel Row was made satisfactory (5/7/1898).

Moore’s wife was unwell and the Committee paid him £15 towards the doctor's bills and for a subsequent period of convalescence away from Nottingham (5/7/1898).
A month later they awarded him £5 to attend the meeting of the Library Association in Southport (9/8/1898).
The Library Committee obviously thought highly of Moore and showed this in their financial, personal and profession support.

However, all was not right.
On 6/4/1899 Moore was suspended and Arthur Lineker, the assistant librarian, took on his duties.
A week later Moore, who lived at Bromley House, was to be ejected from the premises (12/4/1899) and the matter was reported to the General Meeting of 1/5/1899.

Moore had worked for the Library for 33 years with the last six being as librarian.
However, he had abused the confidence placed in him and he did not account for all the subscriptions and rents that he had dealt with and £103 18s 2d was found to be missing from the accounts.
He had kept the payments for five shares he had sold.
A written confession was forthcoming and a motion to prosecute Moore was defeated, perhaps because the Library subscribers were embarrassed at being duped in this way.
The five deluded subscribers were added to the list.
It seems that the Library did not recover any of the embezzled money.

MooreJW-sig-4230
The signature of
J. William Moore
[4230]



Samuel Moore
On 3/12/1827 he and his wife, Sarah, were applicants for the post as porter.


Samuel Moore
Porter.
May 1831 to August 1834.

On 2/5/1831 he and his wife, Sarah, were the successful applicants for the post of Library porter.
They were to be paid £30 per annum plus coal and candles and lived at the Library.

On 3/12/1832 he was reported as drunk and insolent and was dismissed with 1 month's pay.
A special meeting of 10/12/1832 re-employed him with stringent conditions which he signed to indicate his acceptance.

The minute for this meeting reads as follows:
Special Meeting of the Committee held 10th December.
The Revd R.W. Almond President in the Chair.
    Captn Acton               Mr J Churchill
    Rev J Wolley              Mr W. Howitt
    Mr O. Sterland            Mr Newsham

Samuel Moore not having been able to obtain a house since the last meeting and having offered to make the most humble apology and to beg pardon of the Committee for his insolence and improper conduct.

It was resolved that he should have another trial on the following conditions:
  • Firstly - That he would engage to keep himself sober.
  • Secondly - That he should not be absent from the Library premises after nine o'clock at night.
  • Thirdly - That should assist his wife in carrying coals up stairs and other laborious work connected with the Institution.
  • Fourthly - That he would be attentive to all his regular duties.
  • Lastly - That in case of violating any of the above conditions he and his wife shall be discharged and leave the premises within twenty four hours notice given without any wages beyond the day of their leaving.
The above having been read over to the said Samuel Moore he fully agreed thereto and confirmed it by subscribing his name.
MooreS-sig-4176
The text of the resolution agreed to by Samuel Moore along with his signature
[4176]

Complaints having been made against some of the sons of subscribers for injuring the Box defacing the Beds in the Garden and other improper conduct -
It was resolved, that the porter Samuel Moore be directed to report the first person so offending.This notice to be copied and fixed up in the Library and Billiard Room.

By 7/7/1834 he was leaving and an advertisement for his post was to be placed in the papers. He and his wife left on 4/8/1834.



Samuel Moore
Solicitor.
Subscriber: 2/6/1845 to 7/4/1863.


Sarah Moore
See –– Samuel Moore (porter).


W. Morgan
Address: Ham Common, Richmond.
On 7/12/1840 he gave a lithographic print of Ham Common and a pamphlet on Religion and Crime: on the distresses of the people and the remedies.


Colonel Morland
He was in command of the Yeomanry who occupied Bromley House on 10/12/1819 at a time of possible disturbances in Nottingham (Hoskins, 1991)


Rt Hon Arnold Morley, MP (1849-1916)
He was member of Parliament for Nottingham in 1880 and for Nottingham East in 1885.
See –– William Moore.


Arthur Morley (1812-1860)
Hosier.
Address: Sneinton; business: Fletcher Gate.
Subscriber: 2/6/1856 to 7/5/1860.

He was the son of Richard Morley (q.v.).
He continued his father's emphasis on providing his work force with as good working conditions that were currently available and was active with the Mechanics Institute and the Young Men's Improvement Societies, as well as with the building of the Albion Chapel. (Mellors, 1924)

The share was transferred was from B. Morley.

See –– J William Moore: Chronicles and Memorials.


Benjamin Morley
Subscriber: 1/2/1830 to 2/6/1856.
The share was transferred to Arthur Morley.


Charles Lomas Morley
Alderman
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 6/3/1837.
Deceased.


J.G. Morley
Subscriber: 5/11/1860 to 7/11/1864.
The share transfer was made by H.B. Morley.


John Morley
Address: Castlegate.
Subscriber: 7/2/1853 to 7/4/1863.
The Standfast Ledger records one borrowing on 20/6/1860.
The share was transferred to W. Morley by his trustees.


Richard Morley, JP (1775-1855)
Hosier.
Lord Mayor of Nottingham: 1836-37 and 1841-42.
Address: Sneinton; business: Fletcher Gate.
Subscriber: 5/2/1816 to 1/9/1856.
He signed the Library Rules (1816-1830).

Born at the old Manor House in Sneinton where his father was a farmer and hosier, he was one of those responsible for the development of the hosiery business in Nottingham.
He tried to find framework knitters regular employment and for the time his rates of pay were good.

He was active in the Castlegate Chapel and the Mechanics Institute as well as being chairman of the Board of Guardians of the Sneinton Union.
His son was Arthur Morley. (Mellors, 1924)
Deceased.


Richard Morley
Subscriber: 7/5/1827 to 1/2/1830.
He was known as 'Junior'.


Samuel Morley
Subscriber: 7/8/1837 to 9/3/1846.
Sylvanus Redgate painted his portrait.


W. Morley
Subscriber: 7/4/1863 to 7/11/1864.
The share was transferred from J. Morley by his trustees.


Charles Morris
Auctioneer and valuer.
Address: The Lodge, Radcliffe-on-Trent.
Subscriber: 5/4/1898 to 1/5/1899.
A registration fee of 2s 6d for share transfer was received on 22/5/1909 in the name of C. Morris.
The share was transferred from William Sanday (deceased) of Radcliffe-on-Trent and then transferred to Miss Sanday.

Charles Morris was educated at Trent College.

MorrsiC-4117
Charles Morris
[4117]



John Morris & Co. or & Sons
Address: Cross Lane, Salford.
At the advice of Sergeant Breaks, Chief of the Nottingham Fire Brigade a fire extinguisher list was requested.
They supplied fire extinguishers in March 1909 at a cost of £3 12s 0d.


Thomas Morris
Subscriber: 7/7/1823 to 3/9/1832.
The share was transferred from T.P. Morris.


Thomas P. Morris
Subscriber: 3/4/1821 to 7/7/1823.
The share was transferred to Thomas Morris.


John (or Jonathan) Morrison
Lace manufacturer
Subscriber: 3/9/1827 to 1/12/1834.

He bought an original share for £15 15s 0d.
The lineage of this share that became No. 3 in 1902 has been traced through the Alliott family and on into the 1990s. (Mastoris, 1991)


Mrs C.C. Morse
Subscriber: 1/10/1890 to 1/3/1892.
The share was transferred from the Rev. F. Morse, and then on to the Rev E.C. Morse.


Rev Edward St John Morse
Clerk in Holy orders.
Address: Shelford Vicarage, Shelford (1903).
Subscriber: 1/3/1892 to 1916.
Share number: 156 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).

He was born in Edgbaston in about 1853 and was the son of Canon Morse of St Mary's.
He was ordained in 1879 and took his first service at Shelford on 5/10/1882.
He married and was widowed twice.
He retired on 29/9/1940 and died at Hickling Manor on 5/2/1941 aged 88. (Priestland, 2000)
He is sometimes listed as E.C. Morse.

The share was transferred from Mrs C.C. Morse.


Rev Francis Morse, MA (1818-1886)
Vicar of St Mary's 1867 to 1887.
Subscriber: 2/3/1868 to 1/10/1890.

It was said that while he was at St Mary's the preaching was more vigourous and the singing more livelier.
He instigated changes to the seating and windows as well as much restoration.

Bronze doors were installed remembering him:
In loving memory - Father, Pastor, Friend.

(Mellors, 1924)

The share was transferred to Mrs C.C. Morse.


Rev S. Morse
Subscriber: April 1865 to 4/3/1867.


W.D. or W.B. Mosley
Subscriber: 2/2/1824 to 9/3/1829.
There is an early mention of a J Mosley.
Deceased.
The share transfer was made by William Hill (executor).


Mrs Jane Moth
She was born Jane Smith (1824-1900) and was the eldest daughter of George Green.
Her photograph is in the George Green Room (2007).

MothJ-4269
Jane Moth
[4269]


Mr Moule
Gift:


Mousetrap
See –– Literary Mousetrap.


Mr Mozeley
On 2/6/1847 he was appointed to clean and restore the paintings in the Library.


Colonel William Mudge (1762-1820)
Surveyor.

'Col. Mudge' is recorded in the inscription on the longcase clock near the spiral staircase.
As Director of the Ordnance Survey in 1798, he superintended the extension of the meridian line into Scotland in 1813 when he was promoted to colonel.
He served on the Board of Longitude in 1818 and rose to be a major-general in the Royal Artillery.


Mudie’s Select Library Limited and Mudie’s Subscription Library
Charles Edward Mudie, managing director.
Address: 509, 510 & 511, New Oxford Street, London, W.C.; 20, 21 & 22 Museum Street, London, W.C.; 2 King Street, Cheapside, London, E.C. [Post Office London Directory, 1882]

On 2/5/1853 Richard Enfield proposed a £55 subscription to this library for the supply of 60 books per year.
The subscription was renewed on 4/4/1854 and in 1858 they were commissioned to supply 150 volumes (6/12/1858).
Bromley House was still dealing with Mudie's in late 1861, 1864 and 1870.

The subscription was paid in April and in 1879 it was £52 10s 0d. This held until 1889 when it rose to £63 0s 0d.

The minutes of the meeting of 3/1/1893 heard the report of the Circulating Libraries Sub-committee set up on 14/6/1892 and comprising J.A. Mitchell, W. Fry and Frederick Brewster.
A very detailed analysis reveals a complex situation where neither Mudie's nor the Library had any clear idea or record as to how many books had been sent or received.
For £63 per annum they should have supplied 150 books of class A and 50 of class B.
The Librarian was criticised but it was recognised that the control of books coming into the library as well as being lent was a problem.

They were supplying 100 volumes of fiction for just £5 (5/6/1894) and were subject to detailed comparative scrutiny in 1896 and the subscription paid to them was reduced.
Reduction of the number of volumes from 180 to 150 saved £10 10s 0d in 1895. and the subscription fell to £52 10s 0d in 1896 and stayed very near to that figure until 1903.
From then until 1915 the payment was just £5 5s 0d.
The numbers of these books and the cost of subscription is recorded in the Book Committee minutes (e.g. 1/1/1896).

On 8/1/1901 it was proposed that the subscription to Mudie's be increased in proportion to the discontinuation of that to Rolandi’s Library.

A name that emerged from the correspondence over subscription rates was that of a Mr Able (25/10/1905) and on 13/5/1903 a letter to Mudie's was addressed to a J. Austin.
It was proposed that the subscription be transferred to the London Libraries. (7/11/1905).
They were informed on 14/2/1906 that the Library would cease its subscription at the end of the year after over 60 years of association.

When W.H. Smith & Son’s Subscription Library increased its charges in 1914 Arthur Lineker found Mudie’s to be cheaper than many other such libraries, but they would only supply one copy of a book.

Charles Edward Mudie
He was born in Chelsea on 18/10/1818 and was one of the many sons of a secondhand bookseller, who also sold newspapers and hired out books at a penny a time. Charles opened his own shop in 1830 in King Street, London, where he also published novels. This was probably 28 Upper King Street, Covent Garden where in 1841 a Thomas Mudie was running a newspaper agency. Other Mudies in similar trades at this time were:
 T. Mudie & Sons, stationers at 15 Coventry Street, Haymarket;
Chr. Mudie & Peter, booksellers at 15 St Martin's Court, St Martin's Lane. (Post Office, 1841).
     Among those whose work he published at about this time were the poet James Russell Lowell (1819-1891) and Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

    In 1843 Charles began the loan of his own books to students at the University of London and his success ensued with his charging a guinea for borrowing one volume at a time for a year. By 1852 he had new premises on New Oxford Street at its junction with Museum Street and hart Street, just a few yards south of the British Museum. He was offering publishers advance purchase of three or four hundred copies of their new books and was himself obtaining corresponding discounts. He rejected books he thought objectionable, one such being George Meredith's The ordeal of Richard Feveral which he found 'too racy'. He also dealt with non-fiction.

    Mudies soon had outlets on Cross Street in Manchester and on New Street in Birmingham. Their withdrawn books were offered at £5 for a hundred volumes in 1860. They exported books using watertight boxes some of which were reported to have survived shipwreck.

    In December 1860 a further new building was housing over a million volumes with, for its day, advanced stock handling methods coupled to a very loyal staff who wore a uniform including striped trousers. Thus Mudie had a virtual monopoly of the book trade and W.H. Smith kept the railway bookstall trade. These two forms seem to have divided the book market to their own advantage. Mudie formed a limited company in 1864 with half the stock in the hands of publishers such as John Murray.

     Charles Mudie died on 28/10/1890.


(Pool, 1997)




Rev J.C. Mulligan
Subscriber: 24/3/1856 to 5/7/1869.
The Standfast Ledger records one borrowing on 3/2/1863.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.


Charles Godfrey Munday
Address: Burton-on-the-Wolds.
Subscriber: 30/4/1821 to 21/3/1825.
As his share and subscription had not been paid his membership was forfeited (21/3/1825).


Anthony John Mundella, MP (1823-1897)
Hosiery manufacturer and politician.
Subscriber: 2/12/1850 to 1/9/1873.
Committee: 1861.

The Standfast Ledger records five borrowings on 18/1/1851.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.

His father, Antonio Mundella, was an Italian political refugee from Como who came to England and married Rebecca, daughter of Thomas Allsop.
Anthony was born in Leicester on 28/3/1825.
He was expelled from school for supporting the Reform Bill in 1832, when he was just seven years old, but was readmitted after payment of a fine.

He worked as a ‘printer’s devil’ before becoming apprenticed as a stockinger at the age of eleven with William Kempson.
He reacted to the harsh conditions in the stocking industry.

On 12/3/1844 he married Mary, daughter of William Smith, a warehouseman of Kibworth Beauchamp in Leicestershire.
In 1848, when Anthony was 23 years old, they moved to Nottingham.
They had two daughters:
Through his attention to business he progressed from being an assistant in a hosiery warehouse to being made a partner at the age of 23 with Jonathan Hine & Sons, the company having extensive premises on Station Street.
As Hine & Mundella the company pioneered technical advances in the hosiery industry.

He was Sheriff of Nottingham (1853) and an alderman of the city (1857).
At this time he suffered ‘anti-Semitic’ abuse despite his Italian and Roman Catholic origins.
In 1863 he suffered from a nervous breakdown, but made a full recovery.
He served on the Board of the People’s College and was a Captain of the Robin Hood Rifles.
He became Member of Parliament for Sheffield in 1868 and was to represent that city for 29 years.
His political activities included the development of a system of arbitration and conciliation between employers and their workpeople.
He was also involved deeply in education matters, trade union reform and the Factories Act of 1874.
He served as a member of the Privy Council, as a Cabinet Minister in Gladstone’s government of 1886 and as Minister of Education and as President of the Board of Trade (1892).
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society on 9/3/1882.
He resigned from Parliament on 12/5/1894 but was re-elected unopposed.

His wife, Mary, died in London on 14/12/1890.
Anthony became paralysed on 13/7/1897 and died at his London home of 16 Elvaston Place, South Kensington on 21/7/1897.

They are both buried in the Church cemetery in Nottingham.
The inscription on the tomb justly says:
'Loving knowledge for its own sake, he, strove to diffuse it among his countrymen.
He laboured for industrial peace, and the welfare of the children of the, poor.'

(Mellors, 1924)

(Mellors, 1924; Jonathan Spain (2004) Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, vol. 39, pp.747-752)


J. Mundella
Subscriber: 4/9/1865 to April 1874.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867.
The share was passed to Mrs Mundella.


Mrs J. Mundella
Subscriber: April 1874 to 5/4/1898.
The share was passed from J. Mundella.


Munk
See –– Marriott Munk(e) & Co.


Edward Munk
Wholesale merchant.
Address: The Park.
Subscriber: 1/10/1855 to 1/5/1876.

He was born on 25/9/1795 and on 18/11/1834 he married Sarah, daughter of John Franks of Saddington, Leicestershire.
Sarah died at 5 Park Terrace on 22/4/1846 and Edward died at 6 The Ropewalk on 20/3/1879.
They had two daughters.
See –– William Parsons' Diary.
The share was transferred to Henry Munk.

MunkE-4144
Edward Munk
[4144]



Henry (or Harry) Munk, Esq.
Gentleman.
Address: Elm House, Beeston.
Subscriber: 1/5/1876 to 1916.
Share number: 157 (counterfoil dated 9/2/1901).

He was born on 2/1/1845 and in 1874 he married Sarah, daughter of John Wadsworth, solicitor of Nottingham.
They had two sons.

The share was transferred from Edward Munk.
Harry's death was reported to the 1913 General Meeting.

Mrs Munk was a subscriber to Russell’s History (1916).

MunkH-4145
MunkH-sig-4146
Harry Munk
[4145 & 4146]



Munke
See –– Marriott Munk(e) & Co


J.E. Munnett
The name has also been read as Minnett and as Winnett.
Address: Regent Street.
Subscriber: 4/9/1871 to 2/7/1877.
He was known as 'Junior'.
He bought a forfeited share from 1857 for £11 11s 0d.


Mr Murdy
A single payment of £1 14s 10d was made on 19/3/1883 for unknown goods or services.


Frank Murray and Murray’s Nottingham Book Co Ltd
Dealer in new and secondhand books, (Charles Gerring (q.v.), manager).
Address: 2 Bridlesmith Gate and 13 Poultry (Kelly, 1891); Regent House, 11 Victoria Street; Derby & Leicester. [Wright, 1894-95]; City Chambers, South Parade, Market Place.
The library bought from him occasionally between 1897 and 1909 but with only sums of between 4s 6d and £2 7s 6d being involved.


Robert Musson
Address: Sneinton.
Subscriber: 7/2/1842 to 7/2/1848.


Robert Musson
Subscriber: 7/11/1853 to 7/9/1857 or 3/1/1859.
The share was transferred by Mrs Sarah Musson (surname unclear and could be Mussin or Munn) (7/9/1857), and later by R. Musson (3/1/1859).


Mrs Musters
A portrait of Mrs Musters by T. Phillips hangs in the Standfast Room.


Mrs Chaworth Musters
Address: Wiverton Hall, Wiverton, near Bingham.
Subscriber: April 1901 to 1916.
Share number: 158.

In 1859 Caroline Anne, eldest daughter of Henry Porter Sherbrooke of Oxton married John Chaworth Musters.

In 1890 she wrote A Cavalier Stronghold. (Phillimore, 1910)

Gifts:

Another gift was a
Portrait of George Noel Gordon, Lord Byron 1815,
described as ‘after George Henry Barlow [oil; 5.5 x 4 inches], is in the Reading Room (2006).

Its label shows:
Bought by L.C. Musters, St Peter’s Gate, 1897. Presented by the late Mrs Chaworth Musters
This was minuted on 13/6/1899.

The share was passed from John Chaworth Musters.
Her death was noted at the 1912 General Meeting.



John Chaworth Musters
Address: Annesley Park.
Subscriber: 1/8/1864 to April 1901.
He signed the memorial in support of Count Marioni (librarian) in 1867 and also the memorial regarding the tenure of the office of President in May 1875 . See –– J. Place.

He was born at Wiverton on 9/1/1838 and died at Aumont in France on 17/11/1887.
He is buried at Langar.

In 1859 he married Caroline Anne, eldest daughter of Henry Porter Sherbrooke of Oxton.
She wrote A Cavalier Stronghold in 1890. (Phillimore, 1910)

The share was passed to Mrs Chaworth Musters.

MustersMrs-4256
MustersJC-4143
MustersJC-sig-4142
Caroline Anne, Mrs Musters and John Chaworth Musters
[4256, 4142 & 4143]



Alexander Muzeo
See –– Guarantee Society.


Mr Myers
On 7/9/1835 the Committee rebuked him for having his name in the Strangers' Introduction Book when not a member.
He apologised on 5/10/1835.



Return to Top of the Page





This page was last updated on

2 July 2008


Neal Priestland